"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;

I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."

John 10:10




Monday, February 7, 2011

Why do we homeschool?

Today is one of those days where I feel like I am running around in circles. Cora and Anna are both sick.  After a trip to the doctor and a lot of holding crying girls, not much has been accomplished.  Madeline has been trudging a long with a little bit of school by herself.  The house is a mess.  We had drive through fast food for lunch.  I went to an easy plan B for supper.  Today I need to remind myself why we homeschool...



I want my children to love God, love each other, and to really learn something. I don't believe that homeschooling is the only way to achieve this, but the most effective.


I want my children to love God. The main reason we homeschool is to disciple our children. I want to live this Christian life with them, not only telling them what it means to love God and live for Him, but to walk hand in hand with them through the journey. This is a scary proposition because I am only a weak sinner. But, isn't that why God saves us? Isn't that what my kids really need to understand? Sending them to church for 1-3 hours per week while sending them to school for 30 hours per week does not seem to be a wise use of their time. It is my job, as the parent, to disciple them.

I know that at some point I need to release my children to the world. I want them to be thoroughly equipped for that day through the strong foundation we are building in our days together. Armies go through extensive training before they are sent to war. They are not just thrown into the battle with no armor or plan of attack. In the same way, I will not send my children into a crazy secular world until they are mentally, emotionally, and spiritually ready. Shouldn't we analyze things according to Biblical truth instead of what society deems as "normal?"


I want my children to love each other. The family is the most basic and critical unit of our society. Children should learn how to interact with all ages of people. Schools are one of the rare places where people are segregated according to age. The time we spend together, young to old, can not be replaced.  We find joy in experiencing life together as a family.


I want my children to really learn something. I want my children to dig deep, use their talents to their full ability, and drink in God's hand of providence and creation. I want them to love learning throughout their life. That doesn't mean we hit the books all day. Instead, we make effective use of our time with intense, short lessons mixed with lots of play and exploration. The christian life should be a life of excellence in all aspects, including education.

These are my ideals, the reason we homeschool. I do not live them out perfectly, but fail miserably every day. Being a homeschool parent is signing up to be deeply humbled everyday. I pray that God will work through me as we raise warriors for Him.


Homeschooling is not easy, but it is worth it.