"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;

I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."

John 10:10




Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The big yellow buses are rollin'

Well, school has started around here. Every time I see the school bus come down our street for the first time of the year, my heart starts to pitter patter. I panic. I get these crazy thoughts in my head:

Oh no! Am I ruining our kids by not granting them this classic American experience of going to school and riding a bus? Why are they picking the kids up already? What do they do there all day? We only "school" a couple hours a day. Those lucky moms get a break for a whole 6 and a half hours. They can go to the bathroom, go to the store, eat lunch by themselves. Those kids look so cute in their new school outfits and back packs. My kids are still in their jammies. What are we doing? Why are we so weird? Will our kids hate me for this?

As soon as those thoughts fly through my head at break neck speed, my next thought comes:

Praise the Lord.

My kids are home with me. We get to learn and grow together. They do not need to get on that bus with those other children. They will not hear bad words at home with me. They will not feel the pressure of fitting in. They will not have to confront serious issues until they are ready. I have the honor of studying the truth with my girls. I get to walk through life with them. My kids get so much more time to play, explore, and breathe than the regular school kids. Yes, we are going against the flow. But I have no doubt this is what God wants for our family.

Praise the Lord.

No comments: