"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;

I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."

John 10:10




Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What didn't work for us last year?

Picture Smart Bible...
I appreciate the idea of this curriculum.  You read through the Bible, and the kids have pictures to color along with.  However, it didn't pan out like I intended.  I don't know if the pictures were too detailed with too many specific requests or my kids are just too young for it, but we had to give up about a third of the way through the year.  It didn't seem like the girls were digesting the information, and I was never looking forward to it.  Instead, I just read through Matthew while the girls traced their CC maps.  That was much easier for all of us.

Latin...
Madeline worked through "Prime Latina" by Memoria Press this last year.  She would watch the DVD every week, and then complete the workbook pages to go along with it.  Again, I like the idea of it.  She was learning a couple prayers in Latin as well as vocabulary words and beginning Latin conjugations and declensions.  But, she thought it was boring.  It was usually a task to complete without really absorbing or enjoying the material.  I'm not sure what we're going to do for Latin this next year.  I am leaning towards really focusing on memorizing the CC Latin, and calling that good.  If we lodge the declensions and conjugations deep in to our minds, I think that may be as good as any other Latin program at this point.     I have also come to the realization that I need to learn Latin myself.  While the DVD program worked well because I don't know Latin, I think that it is only fair that I learn it along with her.

Working on handwriting with Lydia and Anna at the same time...
Handwriting is a subject that needs to be dealt with individually.  Trying to get through it quickly with both of them at the same time was not effective.  The younger years require individual attention, and there is no way around it.

Getting allergy shots...
Madeline and Lydia were diagnosed with environmental allergies last summer.  While there is no cure for allergies, one treatment option is shots that gradually build up your resistance to the allergy.  The treatment begins with twice a week shots, then down to once a week, every other week, and so on.  Because this does promise at least a better handle on the symptoms, we decided we need to do it.  The girls have handled the shots very well (considering they are getting dreaded shots).  Taking a couple hours out of our morning twice per week this last year really hurt though.  It is a reminder to me to keep running around and activities to a minimum because we really value our time at home.

No comments: