"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;

I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."

John 10:10




Thursday, July 22, 2010

Garden green beans

My garden green beans have been quite productive this year. When I dig in to a fresh batch of green beans, I feel like I am sitting in my Grandma's kitchen. They didn't have air conditioning in their old farm house, and there were usually fresh cut flowers on the kitchen table. There was always an abundance of homemade food, and green beans were one of the best.


To prepare green beans like Grandma, fry some bacon with olive oil in the bottom of a heavy stock pot. Remove the bacon, saving the bacon drippings in the pot. Cut the bacon in to bite size pieces. Add the bacon, green beans, and enough water to cover the green beans back in to the pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer until green beans are tender. The simmering part usually takes longer than you think. Add a touch of salt and pepper. Delicious!

No comments: