"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;

I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."

John 10:10




Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lettuce

I love to garden. My dad is a farmer. Grandma Charlton was a serious mega gardener back in the day. I think it is genetic that I like to dig. There is something amazing about getting dirty, planting a seed, watching it grow, and reaping the harvest. Here is the latest at the Scheve farm...







Lettuce is very easy to grow! I have two pots of lettuce on our deck. It is a cool season plant, so you plant it as soon as possible in the spring. You just sprinkle the seeds on the soil, keep it moist, and watch it grow. When it has grown a few inches and you want to eat it, you cut some off. Then it keeps on growing. Easy, practical, and pretty. The girls love to head out with the scissors before supper, snip snip, and boast about their contribution to the meal.



Lettuce does not like too much hot weather. Once it become very hot out for a week or so it may start to taste bitter. At that point, simply pull out the lettuce and put beautiful annual flowers in your pot that are cheap because the garden centers are trying to get rid of them. When cool end of summer/fall rolls around, plant another batch of lettuce. It is easy. Try it!




The other three pots have herbs growing in them. This is my first try at herbs. More to come about that later.

1 comment:

Just Trying To Save Money said...

Love it!! I have a garden link up every Tuesday- you should come and visit and link up your garden posts~!

I am your newest follower!

www.justtryingtosavemoney.com