"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;

I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."

John 10:10




Thursday, May 20, 2010

Inspired

The past 3 days I have been at a Classical Conversations Parent Practicum. This means that my mind and heart are on overload. It was wonderful to learn along with other parents who are offering their children a classical christian education at home. I am more sure than ever this is what the Lord is calling our family to. As Christians, we must influence the world for God's kingdom. To do this, we must be knowledgeable, able to sift through ideas, and express our thoughts. A classical education will give you the tools to do this. Here are just a few nuggets I brought home with me:


All of the world is God's world. Science, history, math, reading, writing, fine arts? They are all from God and integrated together. They are given to us to glorify God.


We need to seek out and analyze goodness, beauty, and truth.


We can't "do school" like the modern education system, put a verse on the bottom of a worksheet, then expect different results than the world is getting.


Children are souls to be nurtured, not products to be measured.


To engage my children, I need to ask them questions, bringing them along to discover exciting truths.


The understanding of the fall of man and redemption are critical to everything. Ideas matter.


If we can't listen to ideas and sift through the logic, then we are slaves.


Is what I am reading, seeing, or doing glorifying to God or glorifying to man?


One of the most important and scary things I have been thinking about: I need to decide to keep learning and growing. If I want my children to read great books and learn how to think, I need to do it too. Whoa. This is not easy. I will need to admit that there are A Lot of things I don't know. I will need to take time to invest in my education. Easy? No.


Worth it? Yes.


"Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I just heard about classical conversations from a friend at our women's retreat in mid-May. I haven't had a chance to check into it yet but after reading the nuggets you took away from the parent's portion, I now know I need too. God Bless your journey.
Sarah @ NapClan.com