"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;

I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."

John 10:10




Thursday, October 6, 2011

Madeline is 9.

My dearest Madeline,

I can't believe that you are already nine years old.  You are such a mature and bright girl.  You have experienced a lot these past nine years old with your Mommy and Daddy, and you seem to roll with the punches.  You can make friends easily and don't shy away from being "you."  We love you so much.  I can't explain how my heart swells with pride thinking about how God is molding you.  

You are not a girly girl.  You love to play with Legos, decipher mysteries, and long for more spy equipment.  You are an outside girl.  When we are at your grandparents' houses, you enjoy being outside working with Papa or Baka.  At home, you like to help Daddy when he has a house job to finish.  You could ride your bike all afternoon.  And of course, you love to read.  It is hard keeping enough books stocked to keep you reading.  You especially love reading mysteries right now.  You are very gifted in remembering history.  The colonial, revolutionary, and pioneer eras fascinate you.  This year has been a jump for you in school, with more difficult and simply more work.  You are learning how to deal with challenges, and it is not an easy lesson for anyone.  

Your little sisters adore you.  They turn to you for help, affirmation, and hugs.  You love your family being at home, all together.  Of all the girls, you are the one to get homesick.  

In so many ways I see myself in you.  You are not emotional, but logical and analytical.  You are very thoughtful.  Oftentimes, if I need a gift for someone I will ask you what you think they would enjoy.  I know that these traits will benefit you in many ways as you grow.  Yet I also know the downfall of these traits because I deal with those downfalls myself.  

I pray that you would know God, love God, and serve God all your life.  This is the only way to true joy.  Do not be afraid to do hard things.  Know that your mother and father love you, wholly and completely.  

Love,
Mom

p.s.  This is two days late.

No comments: